*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Twix is one of the best candy bars. It has the crunchy shortbread layer, smooth caramel layer on top, and chocolate coating encircling it all. The combination of the textures and flavors is true candy bar perfection! However, because they contain wheat flour, store-bought Twix bars are not gluten-free.
This paleo version has all the flavor, crunch, and sweetness of the original without the heaps of sugar, bleached flour, and dairy. It’s vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and grain-free. This recipe is so simple to make, all you need is 6 ingredients. The hardest part is waiting for them to harden in the freezer!
If you want the true Twix bar experience, follow the recipe exactly. Below is my quicker version that still tastes amazing but doesn’t require cutting into small pieces and dipping all of them individually. Each individual bar will not be completely submerged in chocolate, just the top layer. This still tastes incredible! Here is my shortcut…
Fast Twix Bar Shortcut
- After spreading the caramel layer over the shortbread layer (step 5), melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30-second increments in the fridge, stirring in between.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer and place it into the freezer for about two hours until hardened.
- You can cut them into large rectangles instead of the classic “Twix” shape to make it even easier! That’s it.
Whether you go with the classic “Twix Bar” recipe below or the shortcut above, you will not be disappointed. Let me know if you make this in the comments below. ENJOY!
Copycat, Healthy, Vegan, Gluten-Free Twix Bars
shortbread cookie layer
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Combine the "shortbread cookie layer" ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Using slightly damp hands (so the dough doesn't stick to you), press the dough into a parchment lined square baking dish until it forms an even layer.
- Bake the shortbread cookie layer at 350 degrees for about 17 minutes until slightly golden brown around the edges. Let cool for about 5 minutes once taken out.
- Combine the "caramel layer" ingredients together in a bowl until well incorporated.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the shortbread cookie layer. (For shortcut recipe, stop here and read notes above)
- Place the caramel/shortbread layer into the freezer for about 1 hour 30 minutes until hardened. Once hardened, lift out of baking dish with parchment paper and cut into 1 inch rectangles in the shape of "Twix Bars".
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in 30 second increments in the fridge, stirring in between.
- Once the chocolate is melted, take the rectangle shaped Twix bars one at a time and submerge them in the melted chocolate until well coated. Place on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate covered twix bars back in the freezer and allow to harden for about 20-30 minutes. Remove from freezer and ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.
Click here to sign up and get 30% OFF your first order and a FREE gift when you join Thrive Market! *Conditions Apply (Affiliate link)