*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, paleo, vegan almond joy! These are such a delight and perfect for summer because they don’t involve turning on the oven. It only requires a few simple ingredients you probably have in your pantry already! I have a quick version you can scroll to if you don’t want the classic “almond joy” shape that is fully coated in chocolate.
My version is refined sugar-free and doesn’t include the junk that is in the original “Almond Joy” candy bar. These taste way better too!
All you need is chocolate chips, maple syrup (or honey), coconut flour, unsweetened coconut flakes, coconut oil, vanilla, and of course, the star of the show: Almonds!
I love how budget-friendly these sweet treats are, a rare occurrence for most gluten-free chocolate desserts. Coconut flour is one of the cheapest paleo flours, and coconut flakes are incredibly inexpensive. I also love using coconut flour whenever possible because it boosts the fiber content of any recipe.
Quick Almond Joy Modifications
Instead of going through the process of dipping each bar in chocolate which can be tedious, this version will speed up the process!
Start by pouring the chocolate layer on the bottom, then freeze until hardened. Next, add the coconut layer in an even layer on top of the chocolate layer. Place the almonds, one at a time in rows on top of the coconut layer. Pour the rest of the melted chocolate on top. Set in the freezer until hardened for a few hours. Slice in squares and enjoy!
If you want a guilt-free snack or dessert that satisfies your chocolate craving, these are for you! Grab your 7 simple ingredients and let’s make this delicious treat!
Review and Share!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use more almonds than in the recipe?
Absolutely! I added enough to make the classic “2” almonds per candy bar. But, if you love crunch add as many almonds as you like, it still makes these so good!
Can I substitute coconut flour for another flour?
I don’t recommend this. Coconut flour acts differently than almost any other flour. It also compliments the coconut taste in this recipe perfectly.
What are the best chocolate chips to use?
Gluten-Free Almond Joy
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey if not vegan
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Mix all of the "coconut layer" ingredients except the almonds in a bowl until everything is well coated.
- In a parchment lined square baking dish, press the coconut mixture to the bottom (with slightly damp hands to prevent sticking) until it's an even, firm layer.
- Place almonds firmly into coconut layer so it doesn't fall out when dipping in chocolate! Firmly press the almonds on top of the mixture in rows.
- Freeze overnight, at least 8 hours so the coconut layer sets and is very hard.
- Once the coconut layer is frozen, take out and cut into the classic almond joy shape, cut rectangle shapes with 2 almonds. Or if you don't care about the shape you can cut into squares or any size that is easiest for dipping.
- Melt the chocolate layer ingredients and working quickly, dip each bar into the chocolate until completely coated on a parchment lined large dish or tray.
- Place the almond joy bars in the freezer to set until the chocolate is hard, about 30 minutes. ENJOY!!
If you enjoy this recipe, please support our content by leaving a review down below and sharing it with others!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.