*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
These berry crumb bars are a perfect spring treat! They have a scrumptious crumbly layer sandwiching a deliciously sweet, jam-y, berry layer. These bars taste like eating a pie without all the fuss of making a whole pie. They are seriously divine!
These perfect berry crumb bars are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and paleo! They are healthy enough to eat for breakfast or as a satisfying afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee. For dessert, it’s extra delightful with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use any berry in these berry crumb bars?
Yes! I used mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries), which gave these bars a delightful, slightly sour, sweet varied taste. You can absolutely use just one berry or whatever berries you enjoy.
Can I use frozen berries?
Yes. Fresh berries are ideal. But, if using frozen berries, place them in a strainer on top of a bowl to drain all the liquid from frozen berries. Let it sit over the strainer for about 2 hours until the liquid has drained out. If you don’t allow the berries to thaw fully, the crumb bars will be too liquid-y.
Will the coconut oil make these taste like coconut?
Not if you use refined coconut oil. Since there is a larger amount of coconut oil used in these recipes than my other recipes, I recommend using refined coconut oil. It is tasteless. I usually use unrefined coconut oil, because it is less processed and has a barely noticeable coconut taste in my other recipes, but since this recipe uses a larger amount, I recommend refined coconut oil. Using unrefined coconut oil is fine, it will just have a very slight hint of coconut taste.
Grab your whole food-based ingredients, and let’s get baking! Let me know in the comments if you make these!
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Berry Crumb Bars
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup solid refined coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 3 cups mixed berries
- Mix together the salt, almond flour, and coconut sugar from the "crumble layer" ingredients.
- Add the egg, vanilla and solid coconut oil to the dry mixture. Using two forks or a pastry cutter, cut the mixture in so that there are no big coconut oil clumps and you have a crumbly mixture. (takes about 2 minutes)
- Line a glass, square baking dish with parchment paper. Place half of the crumble mixture on the bottom and flatten with your hands so it covers the bottom of the dish. Set aside the rest of the "crumble" mixture for topping.
- Mix together the "berry layer" ingredients until well combined.
- Spread the berry mixture on top of the crumble layer lined in the baking dish.
- Use the rest of the crumble mixture to sprinkle on top of the berry layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 55-60 minutes, until golden on top. Allow to cool for an hour, slice and ENJOY!