*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
As the weather warms up and spring arrives, it’s the perfect time to start incorporating fresh, vibrant ingredients into your meals. One of the stars of the season is asparagus, a versatile and nutrient-packed vegetable that adds a delicious crunch to any dish.
This healthy gluten-free spring asparagus pasta recipe is crazy easy to make, packed with flavor, and perfect for enjoying on a sunny day. If you have 20 minutes and some fresh ingredients you can make this!
This easy pasta dish is full of vibrant, fresh flavors. It features pecorino romano, a salty sheep milk cheese that works so well in pasta! (If you can’t get your hands on pecorino romano, use parmesan!)
I also include a hefty amount of asparagus for that delicious crunch of veg, parsley for fresh flavor, and a good ‘ol squeeze of lemon juice at the end, along with some zest for a beautiful citrus hit that compliments all the flavors. Optionally I add a good handful of chopped kale. It cooks down and just adds extra freshness to the dish!
This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight when you need to throw something together but still want it to be wholesome, healthy, and of course delish!
*Don’t skip this tip: To make this a well-rounded meal, I recommend adding protein on top. Rotisserie chicken makes this easy for a busy night. Or quickly cook up a chicken breast and slice it on top. This would be perfect with some shrimp thrown in. (It cooks quickly and would compliment these flavors wonderfully!!)
What gluten-free pasta do you recommend?
It’s important to use gluten-free pasta that has a high starch content to allow the pasta water to create a beautiful sauce. I always use and love brown rice pasta if I need pasta water. I’ve heard that chickpea and cassava flour pasta can work well also when using pasta water.
In 20 minutes you will have a beautiful, fresh and vibrant pasta dish. Pour a glass of wine or mocktail, grab your simple ingredients and let’s get dinner on!!
Let me know if you make this in the comments below!
Spring Asparagus Pasta | Gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 25 fresh chopped asparagus into bite sized pieces hard ends chopped off and discarded
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup shredded pecorino romano or parmesan
- 2 small cloves of garlic or 1 large clove
- 1/3 cup pasta water
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or about one giant squeeze!
- roughly 1/4 of a lemon, zested or to your taste preference!
- 2 cups dry gluten-free pasta
- Start by boiling your water to cook your pasta. Follow the boxed instructions. Add a good pinch of salt to the water.
- While the pasta water is boiling, melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped asparagus to the pan and give it a good pinch of salt. Allow it to sautee for about 4 minutes, until it is slightly tender, moving it around occasionally.
- Turn the heat to low, add the chopped garlic and parsley to the pan and mix around until the garlic is fragrant.
- Once the pasta is done, be sure to reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water before straining the pasta!
- Take 1/3 cup of the pasta water and add the pecorino romano to it, whisking vigorously for about a minute until its combined into a paste and there are not a lot of clumps.
- Add the pasta, pasta water and pecorino romano mix and sea salt to the pan, combining everything together until the pasta is fully coated.
- Add the chopped kale, lemon juice and lemon zest to the pasta. Stir to combine.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper, pecorino romano and fresh parsley if you like! ENJOY! *see blog post above for added protein ideas
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.