*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Mediterranean-inspired lamb burgers are an explosion of flavor. They are the perfect, quick, weeknight dinner to whip up.
If you are following my “Brilliant Burger” Episodes on Instagram, I said this was my favorite out of all the summer burger recipes I’ve created. I’m surprised at how many people have actually not tasted lamb meat before!
What does Lamb taste like?
It’s rich and wildly flavorful. Some describe it as gamey and slightly “earthy.”
I love the taste of lamb. I also just love including a variety of meat sources in my diet to have a wider nutrient profile.
Also, It’s proposed to be a healthier choice than beef, having a higher omega-3 profile.
If you haven’t tried lamb before, this recipe is a great one to get you started!
The flavor combination of the spices and feta make it incredible, and the tzatziki sauce takes it over the top.
I love making a quick homemade tzatziki sauce, but you are more than welcome to buy store-bought tzatziki sauce. If you are dairy-free, you can use a dairy-free feta in the burgers and use a dairy-free tzatziki. (I have tried and love the “Vegan Tzatziki Sauce” from Trader Joes!)
Gluten-free bun options: I love Schar gluten-free buns (affiliate link) and “Unbun” buns. Butter lettuce has a wonderful crunch and is another great low-carb choice to wrap around your burger and holds all your toppings in place.
Tips for perfect Lamb Burgers
- Don’t over-mix. Over-mixing the meat and spices will render a tough, dry lamb burger. Mix until just combined and gently form into patties.
- Indent the middle of each patty with your thumb to ensure the burgers cook evenly.
- Use a meat thermometer. I think it’s truly impossible to know the level of “done-ness” of meat without testing the internal temperature. Take the lamb burgers off the grill as soon as it reaches 150 internally. Save yourself an under or over-cooked burger by buying a thermometer.
- Refrigerate formed patties before placing them on the grill. This will help them retain their shape on the grill.
Give these juicy, delicious burgers a try, and please leave a review below if you try them!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground lamb
- 3 cloves finely diced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion yellow onion is fine also
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup plain full fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 large pinch sea salt
- Gently mix all lamb burger ingredients in a bowl until just combined.
- Gently form meat into 4-5 patties. Press down the middle to make a small indent. This will ensure even cooking.
- Cover and refrigerate the lamb patties for at least 10 minutes (up to 4 hours) while the grill heats up.
- While the burgers rest in the fridge and the grill heats up, combine the tzatziki ingredients together in a bowl and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- GRILL RECIPE: Once the grill reaches medium-high heat, oil the grill with a little avocado oil and place the lamb patties on top.
- Cook until crust forms and the patty easily releases from grill, about 4 minutes. Cook for around another 3 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees. (They can still be slightly pink in the center).
- INDOOR RECIPE: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add avocado oil in the skillet. Once the oil is hot, add burgers and cook until a crust forms and easily releases from the skillet. About 3-4 minutes per side, and the temperature reaches 150 degrees.
- Once the burgers are done, serve on a bun, with the tzatziki sauce piled high! I love sliced red onions, lettuce, cucumbers (or pickles), and tomatoes on top as well. ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.
Click here to sign up and get 30% OFF your first order and a FREE gift when you join Thrive Market! *Conditions Apply (Affiliate link)