*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
The perfect summer treat! It’s hard to find an ice cream sandwich with clean ingredients. Even harder, a dairy-free and gluten-free ice cream sandwich that taste normal, with easy-to-pronounce ingredients!
This ice cream sandwich is dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free! It tastes delectable and is made with a few simple, whole food ingredients.
This ice cream sandwich can be made with store-bought dairy-free ice cream (or normal, if you aren’t dairy free!) or you can use my recipe below to make a dairy-free “nice” cream with frozen bananas!
I love that this is way lower in sugar than most ice cream bars you will find in any freezer section, all coming from natural, mineral-rich maple syrup and bananas.
This ice cream bar is creamy, sweet, and has that perfect chocolate crust layer to sandwich in the ice cream. It tastes amazing as is, but for extra credit, dip it in some melted chocolate and sprinkle it with mini chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, crushed nuts, or sprinkles! It adds a wonderful texture to bite into!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear how they turned out, please leave a review and comment!
Ice Cream Sandwich
Chocolate sandwich layer
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cocao powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Dairy-free "nice cream" layer
- 3 frozen brown bananas cut into small coin shapes
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk as needed, may not need at all.
- Start by making the chocolate sandwich layer. Combine the vanilla, maple syrup and melted coconut oil together. Then add the almond flour, coconut flour and sea salt to the wet mixture. Mix until it becomes a dough.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of a large rectangular cutting board or cooking sheet. Spread the dough on top of the parchment paper lined cutting board/cooking sheet.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and using a rolling pin, (wine bottle or any glass bottle!) roll the dough until it is flat and about 1/4 inch thick. The goal is to roll it out into a rectangular shape. Cut and roll to make it a large rectangle.
- Place the rectangle shaped dough in the freezer while you make the "nice cream".
- To make the "nice cream", place the sliced frozen bananas in a food processor or blender along with the vanilla, and sea salt. Blend until it is a smooth creamy, ice cream consistency. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides often to ensure it blends properly! If needed, add 1-2 tbsp of almond milk to help it blend.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and slice the rectangle in half so there are two squares of dough.
- Working quickly so the "nice cream" doesn't melt, spread it evenly on top of one layer of dough. Place the other layer of dough on top of the "nice cream" and freeze for about 2 hours.
- Once the "nice cream" layer has frozen, remove from freezer and slice into about 8 rectangular sandwiches. You can stop here, but I love dipping each sandwich into melted chocolate chips and sprinkling with mini chocolate chips and/or sprinkles! Store in the freezer ad ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.