*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
Calling all Girl Scout cookie lovers! I’m putting a homemade twist on one of the most beloved classics: Tagalongs. My Tagalong cookie recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
If you’ve been following along on my ”healthy girl scout cookie remake” journey (lol), you may know that this is by far my favorite I’ve made! I am such a peanut butter chocolate girlie through and through. I truly don’t think there is a better dessert combination out there. But, when it is layered on top of a buttery crisp shortbread layer, it’s an absolute dream come true!
Samoas will always have my heart and be my number one, but out of all my remakes, this tagalong cookie recipe is my favorite!
What are “Tagalong” cookies?
Tagalong cookies, also known as Peanut Butter Patties, are a popular type of Girl Scout cookie in the United States. These delicious treats consist of a crisp shortbread cookie topped with a creamy peanut butter filling and coated in rich chocolate. Could you ask for a better combo!?
Tagalong Cookie Recipe Ingredients & Substitutions
This recipe is crazy simple and only has 7 whole-food-based ingredients.
Coconut oil– I recommend refined coconut oil here as it has zero coconut flavor. You could also use avocado oil.
Almond milk– or any nut milk!
Coconut sugar– My favorite paleo refined sugar-free sweetener! You could also use a mix of white cane sugar and brown sugar.
Almond flour– My personal favorite gluten-free flour to use, since it is nutrient-dense, grain-free, and blood sugar friendly. The only other possible substitution here would be possibly oat flour. If the dough is too dry with oat flour, then add a bit more almond milk.
Peanut butter– For the classic Tagalong cookie experience, go the creamy route. To stray away from the beaten path, chunky would also taste wonderful! I recommend checking the ingredient label on your peanut butter to be sure it is just “peanuts” or “roasted peanuts”. A lot of peanut butter’s have unnecessary oils and added sugar.
*Please note, if you are strictly paleo, use almond butter or any other seed butter you love!
Chocolate chips– You can use any chocolate that you like. I love using dark chocolate chips. These are some of my favorite clean chocolate chips.
Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips for gluten-free, sugar-free & vegan
Bake Believe Dark Chocolate Baking Chips for sugar-free, gluten-free & vegan
HU Gems Chocolate Chips for organic, vegan, paleo chocolate (My personal favorite)
Leave a review if you make these delicious treats and let me know how it went!
Tagalong Cookie Recipe | Gluten-free | Paleo | Vegan
- 1/4 cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- pinch sea salt
Peanut Butter Filling
- about 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter or almond butter, if stricly paleo!
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips see above for recommendations!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl combine the coconut oil, vanilla, almond milk and coconut sugar together. Mix to fully combine. Add the almond flour and sea salt to the wet mixture. Mix until just combined and it forms a dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out some dough in your hands into small balls and then flatten on the parchment paper until each cookie is a flat circle.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes untril theyre golden brown around the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool for just about 5 minutes. Then, use the back of a small spoon to put a circular indent in the middle of each cookie.
- Once the cookies have fully cooled, use a knife to put about a 1/2 tablespoon amount of peanut butter into the center of each cookie. Melt the chocoalte coating ingredients and dip each cookie in the chocoalte. Place each cookie back on the aprchment paper and then freeze until hardened. (About 30 minutes)
- Remove from the freezer and ENJOY your nastalgic tagalong cookie!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.