*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
Cozy, warming, and the perfect one-pot dinner for these colder days. This is the best meal to prep at the beginning of the week because it will yield plenty of leftovers. And the leftovers are the gift that keeps giving because this chili only tastes better with time in the fridge!
Let’s talk turkey meat. I have a love-hate relationship with ground turkey. It tends to be dry and flavorless when not cooked right. But I love turkey for the leaner cut and easier digestibility than ground beef.
This recipe is infused with delicious spices (mixed in the beginning with the meat) to give the best flavor to a generally dry turkey meat. Also, caramelizing the veggies in the beginning gives that delicious umami flavor to start the cooking process off right.
The result is the best, hearty chili that is nutrient-dense and healthy!
Chili recipes are very personal. Some love to add a dash of cinnamon, even cocoa to the pot or other special flares to make their signature chili. For me, I love my chili very chunky, with not a lot of liquid, and I add corn for a sweet bite in every spoonful.
This recipe is simple, packed with veggies and beans for plenty of fiber and nutrients. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Enjoy by the fire with your loved ones or with your feet kicked back, tucked under a cozy blanket!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute the ground turkey for another meat?
Absolutely! The recipe and spices are tailored for turkey meat, but would still be great with ground chicken or ground beef. Definitely taste as you go, and adjust salt and other spices to your liking! Feel free to play around and make it your own.
Can I substitute the beans for other beans?
Yes, you can choose your favorite bean or even choose just one bean to add in. Kidney beans work well also!
Can I substitute other veggies?
Yes. I recommend a chopped bell pepper, butternut squash, or cauliflower! Be sure to sauté it as directed to get that delicious caramelized flavor.
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments!
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 medium diced white onion
- 2 medium diced medium carrots
- 1 medium chopped zuchinni
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 diced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt plus extra pinches through cooking process!
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp paprika preferably smoked paprika!
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper doesn't make spicy, just adds flavor, add more if you want spicy!
- 1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed pinto beans
- 1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed corn or frozen (1 1/2 cups)
- Add avocado oil to a large pot, heat on medium until warm and add chopped onion. Cook for 2 minutes, then add chopped zucchini and chopped carrot. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for about 12 minutes on medium heat until vegetables are slightly browned and start sticking to the pot. (You may need to add a little bit more oil to prevent burning).
- Add chopped garlic cloves to the vegetable mixture and mix until fragrant. (about 1 minute)
- Add tomato paste to mixture and stir to combine. Add another pinch of salt.
- Add the ground turkey meat and mince the meat with a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up and combine with the mixture.
- As the turkey mixture is cooking, add the full amount of salt and all other spices. (black pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, coconut sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper.) Stir to combine everything.
- Once the turkey meat is no longer pink and just cooked through, add the can of San Marzano tomatoes, broth and beans. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Add corn to the pot, stir to combine. Taste and add spices to your liking!
- Ladle into a bowl and top with avocado, cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, jalepenos or tortilla chips! The options are endlessly delicious. ENJOY!!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.