*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
These burger patties are juicy, full of flavor, and perfect as a light midweek entree or for grilling on the weekend! I love how easy these patties come together and the punch of flavor they bring. If you love food with a little heat, these are perfect! This recipe includes directions for cooking on an indoor stovetop and outdoor grilling.
These burgers have shredded cheddar cheese, diced jalapeños, and some delicious spices to balance it all out. I don’t use the typical bread crumbs in this recipe which keeps them gluten-free.
Since chicken is leaner than beef, it can be difficult to make a juicy burger. I use a few simple ingredients and techniques to keep the burgers from drying out. If you are following my “Brilliant Burger” episodes on Instagram you will recognize some of these tips!
Tips for perfect gluten-free chicken burger patties
- Mayonnaise. A little bit of mayo helps add moisture and fat that is not in ground chicken.
- Tapioca flour. This is the perfect gluten-free binder. It helps the burger patties retain their shape and not fall apart.
- Indent the middle. This is important in most burger recipes! It helps ensure the patty cooks evenly.
- Don’t over-mix. Over-mixing the meat will create a tough patty. Mix just to combine
- Meat thermometer. (Affiliate link) Seriously, buy one already! All your food will be juicy and not overcooked from guessing when the meat is done. This is especially important when it comes to lean meat like chicken that doesn’t have a lot of forgiveness for overcooking.
Grab your ingredients and let’s grill up these fantastic spicy chicken burgers. Let me know if you make them in the comments!
Spicy Gluten-free Chicken Burger
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 cloves finely diced garlic
- 1/4 cup very finely diced jalapeños jarred, pickled or fresh
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot flour/starch
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently mix until just combined.
- Take 1/4 of the mixture into your hand (wet your hands with a little oil to prevent sticking) and form into a patty shape. Use your thumb to indent the middle of each patty. This ensures even cooking.
- If using outside grill, heat it on medium high heat. Place meat patties on the grill for about 5 minutes until it releases easily from the grill to flip. Grill the other side for about 3-4 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.If cooking indoors, heat a cast iron skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Once the oil is hot add patties (don't overcrowd!) to the skillet. Once browned on one side (about 6-8 minutes), flip until cooked through to 165 degrees.
- Top with any topping/sauce you like and ENJOY!(I love mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, more jalepenos and sliced cheddar cheese on top)
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.