*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the cozy fall pasta you are looking for! It is rich, healthy, quick, and sneakily packed with a sizeable amount of veggies! It’s paleo, gluten-free, whole30 and dairy-free.
The secret to adding so many veggies is to make a little “Mirepoix.” This is a mixture of veggies and oil that is cooked slowly to sweeten the veggies so they add a delicious flavor profile to the pasta without tasting “vegetable-y,” for lack of a better word.
I love taking a dish I am craving and finding ways to add in more veg, and this recipe does just that! It has a good amount of celery, carrots, and one cup of cauliflower.
This recipe yields a hefty 8 servings. If you have leftovers, that’s even better because the flavors only build with time. So your dinner will be fantastic tonight, but your lunch tomorrow will be even better. Win, win!
For added veggies, add in some chopped kale or chopped spinach during the last 5 minutes of simmering. No one will notice!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute alternative vegetables in this bolognese?
A typical “Mirepoix” includes onion, carrots, and celery. I would not stray too far from this base. Parsnips or mushrooms would make an acceptable substitute for the celery or carrots in this dish. Feel free to play around with adding chopped spinach or chopped kale in the last 5 minutes of simmering the pasta!
What is a good whole30 or paleo pasta recommendation?
I used and love the Jovial cassava flour pasta (affiliate link) for paleo noodles. It cooks al-dente and comes in a variety of shapes. Some great whole30 pasta ideas are cooked spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles!
Grab a good glass of red wine (or favorite mocktail), your delicious ingredients and lets make this beauty!
Let me know in the comments below if you make this recipe!
Paleo, Whole30, Veggie-Packed Paleo Bolognese Pasta
- 3 medium carrots finely diced
- 4 sticks celery finely diced
- 1 medium white onion finely diced
- 1 finely diced jalepeno optional, adds a little bit of heat!
- 1 cup cauliflower rice can use frozen (or 1 cup fresh cauliflower, very finely chopped/ pulsed through a food processor!)
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced or use garlic press!
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 28 ounces san marzano whole canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 32 ounces paleo pasta I used and love Jovial!
- Food process the onions, jalepenos, celery and carrots until finely diced. Alternatively you can dice the veggies very finely.
- Add 1/2 tbsp avocado oil or ghee to a wide saucepan. Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the finely diced onions, jalepenos, carrots and celery to the saucepan. Season with a pinch of salt and stir. Cook over medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned and the veggies are slightly sticking to pan.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, mix to combine and season with another generous pinch of salt.
- Add italian seasoning and oregano and stir for about a minute.
- Add meat to mixture, breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon. Add another generous pinch of salt. Add the cauliflower rice to the mixture. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the whole can of tomatoes, breaking the tomatoes apart with a wooden spoon.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth to the mixture.
- Add 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar, the bay leaf and another generous pinch of salt.
- Allow to simmer on low for at least 1 hour (up to 2 hours if you have time) until thick, meat is very tender and a-lot of liquid has cooked away.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add one final 1/2 tsp of sea salt and 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning according to your heart!
- Cook paleo pasta according to box instructions. Combine the sauce with the pasta so the noodles are fully coated.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan (If you like and aren't paleo, dairy-free or whole30) and freshly ground black pepper. ENJOY!! (preferably with a good glass of red wine)
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.
Click here to sign up and get 30% OFF your first order and a FREE gift when you join Thrive Market! *Conditions Apply (Affiliate link)