*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like. Even in soup form.
This is the best healthy, hearty winter soup. It’s a delicious, wholesome soup with ground beef and all the beloved taco spices. And, as with most of my soup recipes, I include a decent amount of vegetables.
This is such an easy weeknight soup to throw together with a few simple ingredients and great flavor.
It’s paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, whole30, and FUSS-FREE!
Since this recipe is paleo, it doesn’t include beans, like a typical “taco soup” contains. I make up for that by adding more volume using a chopped bell pepper, chopped kale, and a little over a pound of ground beef. This is great for those following the paleo diet or anyone whose tummy doesn’t handle beans well. (raised hand!)
On the flip side, if you aren’t strictly paleo, absolutely feel free to add a can of rinsed beans (black or pinto) to this soup! A can of rinsed corn would be fantastic as well. I love it both with and without the beans/corn!
What can I top my taco soup with?
I am such a toppings girl. I love a flavorful soup layered with crunchy toppings to pack a punch and depth of flavor!
- chopped cilantro
- sliced radishes
- chopped jalapenos (I loved pickled jalapenos!)
- green onion
- chopped red onions
- sliced avocado
- paleo-approved tortilla chips (I love love Siete brand!)
If not paleo:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- a scoop of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- corn tortilla chips
Trouble finding healthy ingredients?
Thrive Market is a great resource for anyone looking to purchase healthy ingredients that are delivered right to their door. They offer a wide selection of organic, non-GMO, and sustainably sourced products at prices that are up to 50% off traditional retail. Not only do they make it easy to shop for healthy ingredients, but they also have a strong commitment to social and environmental responsibility. With a membership to Thrive Market, you can feel good about the products you are purchasing and the impact you are making on the world. Click here to join Thrive Market & get 30% off your purchase & a $60 free gift! (Affiliate link)
Paleo Taco Soup
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves finely diced garlic or garlic pressed
- 1 large ( 1 1/2 cups, chopped) chopped bell pepper any color you like works!
- 1 small jalepeno seeded optional
- 1 can (4 ounce) medium green chilis
- 1 can (28 ounce) tomatoes I love the San Marzano, whole peeled variety!
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 lime, juiced 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon (plus pinches throughout) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Heat avocado oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground beef to pot, add and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Break apart the meat with a wooden spoon until browned. Remove the meat and put on a paper towel lined plate, reserving the oil in the pot.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in the pot in the reserved oil. Give it a small pinch of salt. Saute for about 12 minutes, until the onion and bell pepper are slightly browned.
- Add the jalepeno (optional) and garlic, saute for about a minute. Add the tomato paste and spices (chili powder, cumin, and oregano, pepper and full teaspoon of salt.) Stir to combine for about a minute. Add back in the ground beef.
- Add in the green chilis, canned tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir everything until combined. Allow to simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust spices and salt according to preference. Add the chopped kale and lime juice. Serve with optional toppings listed above! ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.