*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
If you are feeling the cold, January winter blues, I have the cure! This hearty, comforting shepherd’s pie. This warm and cozy dish is whole30, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, keto, and full of veggies!
What is Sheperd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s pie is a classic British dish. It is the perfect combination of savory meat, tender vegetables, and creamy mashed potatoes. It is typically made with ground lamb meat, but I rebelliously made it with ground beef, which tastes phenomenal. You can choose either meat option.
In my version, you know I’m always going to look to add in veggies without sacrificing volume or flavor. (don’t skip flavor, obviously) You won’t miss the starchy mashed potato layer because the creamy cauliflower layer is full of flavor and adds a beautiful fluffy bite to each forkful of shepherd’s pie!
But if you would like to swap the cauliflower layer for mashed potatoes, absolutely go for it!
Ground beef: Ground lamb also works and is more traditional!
Vegetables: You can swap the carrots and green beans for peas and/or mushrooms. You can also swap the cauliflower layer for mashed potatoes.
Tapioca flour: Arrowroot flour or cassava flour also works well.
Now, let’s make this easy, throw together shepherd’s pie! You’ll be enjoying the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes with eating this comforting dish in no time!
If you make this recipe, let me know how you liked it in the comments below!
Whole30 Shepards Pie
- 1 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cloves minced garlic or garlic pressed
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
Cauliflower (Potato) Layer
- 4 cups (about 8.5 ounce frozen bag) cauliflower I like the frozen bags of riced cauliflower!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or grass-fed butter (if not whole30 or paleo)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or any dairy-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- parsley for garnish
- Add avocado oil to a saucepan, heated to medium heat. Add diced white onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the cooked onions along with the parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Break the meat apart with a wooden spoon and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato paste and mix until incorporated into the meat mixture. Add the garlic, coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar to the mixture Stir to combine for about a minute then add in the carrots, green beans and broth.
- Cook everything together at a simmer for about 5 minutes. Add in the tapioca flour and mix to combine.
- Cook cauliflower according to package instructions (I steamed my cauliflower in the microwave, no judgment here!)
- Place the cooked cauliflower into a blender with ghee, garlic powder, sea salt, and almond milk. Blend until creamy.
- Using a square glass baking dish, layer the cooked meat mixture on the bottom then layer the creamy cauliflower puree on top and spread it evenly. (Optional: add a spinkle of parmesan cheese on top, if not following whole30 or paleo diet)
- Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees, until golden on top. Top with an extra spinkle of parsley.Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving! ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.