*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
I am always looking for ways to not waste my leftover almond pulp from making homemade almond milk. In my search, I made these incredibly satisfying, grain-free chocolate peanut butter energy bites! They are the perfect snack/breakfast to grab on the go or to throw into lunch boxes.
These energy balls are grain-free, gluten-free, paleo, refined sugar-free, and dairy-free!
These grain-free energy balls are sweet little bites of chocolate full of flax seeds, protein, and peanut butter. They taste like a mix of a peanut butter cup and a fudge-y brownie bite!
What is almond milk pulp?
This recipe uses “almond milk pulp”: the pulp that is leftover from making homemade almond milk.
To make your own almond milk: soak 1/2 cup almonds overnight. Strain the liquid and then put soaked almonds in a high speed blender with 2 1/2 cups water and blend for 1 minute. Strain the milk thoroughly through a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, or rag over a large bowl. What lands in the bowl is creamy, delicious, fresh almond milk. The leftover almond meat is the “almond pulp”. This is what is used in this recipe!
I love using Vital Proteins Chocolate Collagen powder (affiliate link) for the protein in this recipe. The flavor is delicious and adds the chocolate taste with no added sugar! I also love the benefits of adding collagen to my diet.
Benefits of Collagen
I have been including a scoop of collagen every day in my morning coffee. Personally, I notice the biggest difference in my nail strength and growth. Collagen is also proposed to improve skin health, may relieve joint pain, may prevent bone loss, and may boost muscle mass.
It’s such an easy addition to any beverage or baked good, so why not include it!?
If you don’t have chocolate collagen, you can likely use any sweetened chocolate protein powder. I would start with two scoops since the scooper size will differ. Taste and see if the consistency is to your liking. Add more protein powder if not chocolatey enough. Add honey if it’s not sweet enough and a few splashes of almond milk if it’s too dry.
Use this recipe as a base for your own energy ball creation! The options are endless.
- chopped nuts or seeds
- shredded coconut
- oats (if not paleo)
- natural sprinkles
- peanut butter chips
- chopped dried fruit (I think dried cherries would be divine!)
If you are looking for another left-over almond pulp recipe, try out my almond pulp chocolate chip cookies by clicking HERE.
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below!
Grain-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls (Using Almond Pulp!)
- 1/2 cup almond pulp or 1/2 cup almond flour saturated with 2-3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 4 scoops chocolate Vital Proteins collagen or chocolate protein powder
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or a mix of cocao nibs/mini chocolate chips
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt for topping optional
- Mix together the almond pulp, vital proteins chocolate collagen, flax seeds, cinnamon, sea salt and chocolate chips until well mixed.
- Add the peanut butter to the mixture and combine. (Using your hands is best!) Once well combined and the mixture turns into a dough consistency, break off about 1 tbsp amount to roll into a small ball. (You may need to wet your hands with water to prevent sticking.)
- Once you've used all the dough to roll into small balls, you can top with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, dip in chocolate and let set, or leave as is! ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.