*I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read our full site disclaimer HERE.
This deep dish chocolate chip skillet cookie is incredible. It has crisp, buttery edges and a gooey, sweet center. This makes the perfect “cookie cake” for a group or special occasion. I love eating it served with vanilla ice cream on top. It feels so fancy while being very simple to make.
The secret to this cookie is brown butter. I call this liquid gold. Browned butter adds a toasted, somewhat nutty note to both sweet and savory recipes and takes the flavor of this cookie to the next level. All it takes is a few minutes of cooking the butter, whisking vigorously until you smell a delicious toffee scent and it is golden brown.
Browning the butter in the cast-iron skillet first also adds a buttery base to plop your cookie dough in, creating that perfect crisp edge to every single slice.
I don’t consume a lot of dairy, which is why this huge skillet only has one stick in the recipe. One stick of butter is enough to provide the perfect brown butter flavor throughout the whole cookie. Quality matters, which is why I always choose grass-fed, organic butter when I use it. I also used dairy-free ice cream to finish the dessert on top!
This recipe is very simple, decadent, and perfect in every way while still being gluten-free, grain-free, and refined sugar-free!
Frequently Asked Questions
What size cast-iron skillet should I use?
I used a 10.25-inch cast iron skillet. A bigger 12-inch skillet would work as well; your cookie will just be a little thinner. I would recommend watching the time so it doesn’t overcook.
Can I substitute butter for a dairy-free alternative?
I have not tried this recipe with another option besides butter. The flavor profile would be different with avocado oil, coconut oil, or another oil. But If you try this recipe with an alternative to butter, let me know in the comments!
Can I substitute tapioca flour with another flour?
The only substitute for tapioca flour is arrowroot flour/starch.
Deep Dish Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder see note for paleo baking powder recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat cast-iron skillet for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Place stick of butter in the skillet and whisk constantly until it turns a light golden brown and smells heavenly. (about 3-4 minutes, make sure it doesn't burn!)
- As soon as it is browned, remove the skillet from the heat and pour it into a bowl so the butter can cool down. Don't wipe the skillet clean, the butter provides a base for the cookie to be placed on.
- After about 10 minutes andthe browned butter is cool, add coconut sugar and mix.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the mixture and combine.
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and pinch of sea salt to the wet mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips and then scoop the cookie dough into the cast iron skillet and spread until it's an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown. It will continue to bake once removed from oven. Let rest for 25 minutes until slicing and serving with ice cream on top! ENJOY!
Want Quality Groceries Shipped to Your Front Door at an Unbelievably Great Price?
Thrive Market offers a wide variety of high-quality, non-toxic, and organic products at wholesale prices. By becoming a member, you can save up to 50% off traditional retail prices on everything from pantry staples to beauty and personal care items. Additionally, Thrive Market offers a 30-day risk-free trial, so you can try it out and see the savings for yourself. Signing up for Thrive Market also supports their mission to make healthy living accessible to everyone, including their commitment to providing free memberships to low-income individuals and families. With Thrive Market, you can save money and make a positive impact, all while getting the healthy products you need.